Sunday, February 6, 2011

okay, so I'm addicted to rice...

Valentines day will be here soon. I have looked around for things on line to get for my husband but decided that I'd take a trip to the mall with a good friend of mine to look at all the wonderful things there in hopes that I would find something that he'd like. Living in Michigan, you get used to random and very strange weather so when we over herd a few store employees talking about 2 inches of snow dropping in a matter of minutes we were not overly worried because hey, this is Michigan after all. So we continued to look around for Valentines day gifts for my husband and her fiancĂ©. 

After being at the mall for 3 hours, we decided that it was about time we should head out. What we saw when we stepped outside was a huge surprise. Around a good 6-7 inches of snow covered the already massive piles of snow from our previous weeks snow storm and my friends car. We sort of laughed as we cleaned her car off thinking how we thought there was no way that the snow would have really done much damage considering we had about 18 inches on the ground already. We were slightly wrong. The drive from the mall normally takes about 10 minutes to get back to where I live, it took us around 35-40 minutes to get home due to the weather. 

We didn't actually buy anything for anyone for Valentines day but we did buy some things for our selves. 

Now I normally don't wait till the last minute to buy gifts for people. I ordered a few things off one of my favorite sites, Etsy.com for my husband for v-day along with a few other things for myself because lets face it, that site, is amazing. I have yet to find someone on there that wasn't super friendly and super helpful. You can find anything from photographs to edibles to cuff-links and clothing. Most of the sellers on here will also do custom orders so if there is something your looking for and you can't find it but you like the other products a seller has, chances are they would love to make something custom for you. 
I found a few other things on the site today for him so he's done and I didn't have to chance going out into the snow again looking for something that I most likely wouldn't have found. 

I tried a new product over the weekend as well. Its this tablet called affresh and what its designed for is making your washer smell better. I believe they have them for the dish washer as well but since I don't have one, I only bought and tried the washing machine one and I have to say, its fantastic. My washer was purchased used and it's had a very odd oder since we've owned it. Now it has no smell whatsoever. These things are super easy to use, simply run hot water into your empty washing machine, drop the tablet in, and let it run on normal cycle. Smelt totally clean once it was done and there was no left over residue on the inside of the washer (Although the instructions claim that it can happen, I had none). I totally love this product and for around 9 dollars for 3 tablets (one tablet per month) so thats around 40 bucks a year for a clean, fresh smelling washing machine. I'm pretty down with that. Their website is www.affresh.com if you want to see the video of a demonstration for either the washing machine or dish washer. I love how my washer smells and plan to continue buying their product. 

Another new purchase in our house hold this weekend which should have been bought years ago was an electric rice cooker/steamer. I have to say I have always done my rice on the stove in boiling water but this rice maker makes things so much easier. 15 minutes inside the rice maker, stir the rice, then wait for the timer to tell you its done and there you have it. Perfect delicious rice in minutes and you don't have to take up a burner on your stop top. I have found that being gluten free has introduced a lot of rice consumption in our house so this makes things just that much easier. Plus the fact you can make any kind of rice to include spanish or steam up some veggies to add to your meal. I love it. I used it the moment we got home and I plan on buying some industrial sized bag of rice now because I would be okay with eating rice with every meal. My husband bought me a Vietnamese cook book and I love it. Now that I have my awesome super fast super easy rice maker, it'll make things that much less complicated when I actually start making dishes from the book, which will hopefully be sometime this week. I think I'm going to start with a soup and work my way up. I'll be sure to post about it once I actually start. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment