Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Issues with the grill



I have been looking through this Vietnamese cookbook that my husband bought me for weeks now. Pondering what I'd be cooking as my very first dish. I decided to go with a type of pork soup which looked super marvelous in the photo provided with the recipe. I purchased everything this weekend and had planned on making it for dinner tonight when I came across a bit of a dilemma; all the meat in the meal was required to be cooked on a grill of some sorts. Normally this wouldn't be an issue because our grill is located right out side our door but due to the "Snowpocalypse" the grill is currently hibernating under 2 feet of snow.  So this whole discovery messed up my dinner plans because I was stuck with 2 pounds of pork shoulder blade meat that needed to be cooked and I wasn't sure what to do with it. So I racked my brain and finally came up with a solution; Id make some Teriyaki pork with pineapple and long grain rice with peas and carrots on the side. It turned out swell and I even decided I would take some photos to share it in all its glory!


Well, that's it. In all it's glory. It was very simple to make. I just made it up as I went along which made it even easier. 

               Just for laughs, here's the recipe:
Teriyaki pineapple and Pork

2 pounds Pork shoulder trimmed of fat and bones
2 Tablespoons oil
2 cans crushed pineapple in their own juices
1/2-1 cup San-J GF Teriyaki Sauce (Can substitute for any Teriyaki sauce I'm sure)
pepper 
salt
rice of your choice

1. Trim fat and bones off the pork if not already done, and slice into bite size pieces or strips. I did a combo of the two just because of how my bones were located in my meat.  
2. Add oil to an electric skillet that is set on medium. Once oil has heated, add the pieces of pork one at a time until they are all covering the bottom of the skillet.
3. Brown the pork, flipping the pieces so that each side gets evenly browned. The time will very based on the size of your pieces (but if there is still pink on the outsides don't worry it will finish cooking in a later step)
4. Remove pieces into a bowl as they finish browning.
5. Once all pieces are done and in the bowl, add the pineapple including juice to the skillet and cook for a few minutes then return the pork to the skillet as well.
6. Add the Teriyaki sauce into the rest of the ingredients stir and bring to a boil, once boiling reduce the heat to a lower setting, cover and let cook until there is no longer any pink in any of the meat (This took me about 15 minutes)
7. Salt and pepper to taste and serve over rice of your choice. I added a can of peas and carrots as well but you can add whatever you'd like. 

Well there it is. I've never written out step by step instructions before so I hope its not too hard to follow. My family enjoyed it and I hope yours does as well. I enjoyed taking the photos too. The first photo is actually off my rice and new rice bowls my husband purchased from me from pier1 imports. I love them to death. First time using them as well and they are splendid. 





No comments:

Post a Comment